Hope you all watched the sewing tutorial videos uploaded on our channel. Today we will see how to cut kurti. We all are very much familiar with the word kurti. I think the word kurti is the shorter version of kurta. Our Indian tunic was famous all over and was known as kurta. But now we mostly use the word kurti for our kurta. Kurti comes in many varieties. Long kurti, short kurti, apple cut kurti and so on…. the list will go on. Well, you might be thinking why I started writing about the history of kurti? It just clicked while writing the post so I jotted down. Coming back to our post of cutting kurti or kameez.
I have uploaded sewing tutorial video on how to cut simple kurti here. I have also summarized the post on cutting kurti.
How to cut simple kurti kameez
Requirements for cutting the kurti:
- Measurements of kurti
- Measure tape
- French curve
- Paper Pattern of kurti optional
Keep ready all the above mentioned sewing tools with you. Now we will see how to cut kurti step by step.
Kurti cutting method
- First of all we will fold the fabric. Hold the selvedges such that right side faces each other. Go along this selvedges till the required length of the kurti. Make a mark over the point. Lay down the fabric. The wrong side of the fabric should face you. Because we will be making the kurti pattern on this side. So that the chalk marking comes on wrong side.
- Now fold the fabric width wise such that the folded side is towards you and the selvedges opposite to you. As shown in the video. You will have with you fabric left towards the selvedges side. We will use this fabric to make necklines of kurti.
- Coming towards the folded side of kurti fabric. Take the length of kurti and add 2″ . Mark a point at length.
- Mark shoulder/2 + 1/4 ” ( one fourth inch)
- Mark shoulder/2 – 1/2 ” (half inch )
- Mark shoulder/2 – 1 “
- Mark bust round /4 + 2″
- Mark waist length.
- Mark waist round/4 +2″
- Come down 6″
- Mark hip round/4 + 2″
- Now going towards the bottom of kurti mark hip round/4 + 2″
- This is the basic pattern of kurti, kameez.
You can read the kurti draft pattern here for more details.
Making Kurti Armhole
- Armhole of kurti is drawn where the shoulder line intersects the bust round . In my kurti pattern draft you can see it from 3 – 5 – 9.
- Draw a diagonal from point 5.
- Mark at 1 ” from point 5 – B
- Mark at 1/2 (half ) inch from point B to A.
Front armhole kurti cutting
- Take the french curve and make curve connecting the points 3 – A – 9.
- This is the back armhole of kurti / kameez.
- In my kurti pattern it is in BLUE LINE.
Back armhole kurti cutting
- Take the french curve and make curve connecting the points 3 – B – 9.
- This is the front armhole of kurti / kameez.
- In my kurti draft it is in RED LINE.
Cutting of simple kurti
- Start cutting kurti from point 1 – 2 – 14 – 13 -11- 9 -A -3
- You should cut the blue curve first.
- Carefully remove the inner kurti from the folded fabric.
- This will be the back of kurti.
- Now cut the front armhole curve from the another part of kurti.
- I mean you will cut the red curve 3 – B – 9
- This will give you the front of kurti.
Hope you will cut kurti at home by watching the video tutorial. Please don’t forget to subscribe, like and share the video
Love “N” Gratitude