Fashion keeps evolving, and new designs enter the wardrobe. And evolving our sewing tutorial, today we will see the maxi skirts cutting. The skirt is a garment which covers the lower part of the body. It is worn with love by all girls and ladies. Be it for the casual or professional look. It accentuates the best curves of our body. Skirts come in various varieties and styles, like maxi skirts, mini skirts, long maxi skirts, panelled skirt, long skirts, pleated skirts to name a few ones. And I am sure you all beautiful dearies reading my blog are having a couple of skirts in your wardrobe. Am I correct in saying so?? Tell me in the comment box.
Skirts are very easy to design and simple to stitch. In this sewing tutorial, we will see ankle length skirt cutting and stitching. It was requested by one of the loyal subscribers. She is with me in this sewing journey right from when I started my blogging, correct hai na KUSUM Jee 🙂
Long Skirts cutting and stitching
As usual first we will see the skirt pattern and then we will jump to skirt stitching. If you wanna stitch panelled a line skirts pattern or panelled long skirts pattern this skirt pattern will do the work.
Fabric required for skirt will be calculated as = Double the length of the skirt + 8″, so if the skirt length is 40″, doubling it will give us 80″+ 8″= 88″ total.
The flare of the skirt depends on the width of the fabric. Here my fabric width is 44″, the flare I’ll get will be approximately 82- 84″. Well, this pattern will also fine with A- line skirts, long maxi skirts.
Measurements required for long skirts, ankle length skirts.
- Length of the skirt = 40″
- Waist round = 36″
Below image is of drafting skirt pattern. First draft this pattern on a paper.
- MIDDLE PANEL OF SKIRT PATTERN
- 1 – 2 = Length of the skirt on the folded side.
- 1 – 5 = Waist round/8
- 1 – 3 = 5″
- 5 – 4 = 5″
- Draw a line from 3 – 4
- 2 – 6 = 14″ – 16″ approx. This is the bottom round. READ THE TIPS FOR THE MARKING OF THIS POINT.
- SIDE PANEL OF SKIRT PATTERN
- 7 – 8 = Waist round/8 + 1.5″
- 8 – 9 = Length of the skirt on open side.
- 8 – A = 5″
- Draw a line from A – B
- 9 – 10 = 15″ – 17″ approx. This is the bottom round.
- FOR MARKING POINT 2 – 6, WHAT YOU NEED TO IS, FROM THE SELVEDGES SIDE MARK THE POINT 7 – 8. AND THE REST OF AREA WILL BE YOUR 2 – 6.
- SO BEFORE COMPLETING THE MIDDLE PANEL YOU NEED TO MARK THE SIDE PANEL TOP PART.
Now cut the middle panel and side panel of the skirt pattern.
Skirts Cutting and Stitching
- Fold the fabric in 4 layers, inside out.
- Keep the folded side towards you.
- On folded side keep the middle panel, and mark the skirt pattern. See the pic below.
- On the selvedges side keep the side panel, mark and cut. See the pic below.
- From the extra fabric left we will use it for the waist belt.
- The layout pic below.
Long skirt stitching
- Lay the middle panel.
- Pin up the side panel selvedges with the middle panel on the sides. See the pic.
- Start sewing the panels. In front, we will have 3 panels.
- Repeat same for other 3 panels.
- Attach the waistband.
- Finally, complete the sewing by folding the bottom round.
- And your skirt is ready to wear.
Hope you will share the video and subscribe the channel.
Happy Blogging 😉
Love “N” Gratitude 🙂