Punjabi dress cutting explained in a very simple method for all the viewers. In this post I’ve explained how to draft pattern of Punjabi suit. I have also uploaded a video on the channel for Punjabi suit cutting steps. The Punjabi dress has darts in the kameez, in this post I have not included it. I’ll write a new post of darts marking in kameez.
How’s the life moving? Hope you all are doing well. Sorry from me as I am not posting the videos regularly.
Well drafting a kurti , kameez is same method. As the name says kameez is hindi/ urdu word. Whereas kurti is hindi word for short top. Usually kurti is worn with jeans or leggings. And kameez is with salwar.
How to draft a Punjabi dress pattern
Measurements required for making punjabi suit pattern:
- Scale — Bust/2 gives us the scale measurement
All the measurements are in INCHES.
Sewing tools required for drafting pattern on paper for kurti/dress
- Measure tape
- Single French Curve
If you are drawing the kurti/ kameez pattern in drawing book use the scale. And if you are making the kurti pattern on fabric use measure tape.
Punjabi suit pattern making
I would recommend you to make all the sewing patterns in jumbo size drawing book available in the market. As by doing so you will first draw the pattern in book and then you can draft punjabi dress pattern, punjabi suit design on your fabric. And one more benefit will be you will be confident enough to draw kurti/ dress pattern on your own.
Now we have our measurements ready with us. Let’s start drafting kurti pattern. Take the drawing paper which has the length of at least 40″. Place the paper on your table. Or alternatively take your drawing book.
Drafting the punjabi suit pattern
Below is the diagram of punjabi dress cutting:
- 1-2 = Full length + 2″
- 1-3 = Shoulder/2 + (1/4) quarter inch
- 1-4 = Shoulder/2 – (1/2) half inch
- 4-5 = Shoulder/2 – (1/2) half inch
- 4-6 = Bust round/4 + 2″
- 1-7 = Waist length
- 7-8 = Waist round/ 4 + 2″
- 7-9 = 6″
- 9-10 = Hip round/4+2″
- 2-11 = Hip round/4+2″
- 5-13 = 1″
- 13-12 = half inch
How to draw the punjabi dress pattern.
- Mark 1-2 = Full length + 2″
- Mark 1-3 = Shoulder/2 + (1/4) quarter inch, draw a line.
- Mark 1-4 = Shoulder/2 – (1/2) half inch
- Mark 4-5 = Shoulder/2 – (1/2) half inch, draw a line.
- Join 3-5
- Mark 4-6 = Bust round/4 + 2″, draw a line.
- Mark 1-7 = Waist length
- Mark 7-8 = Waist round/ 4 + 2″, draw a line.
- 7-9 = 6″
- Mark 9-10 = Hip round/4+2″,draw a line.
- Mark 2-11 = Hip round/4+2″,draw a line.
- Join 6-8-10-11
- On the diagonal line mark 5-13 = 1″
- Give the armhole shape from 3-13-6 this is front arrmhole
- On the diagonal line mark 13-12 = half inch
- Give the armhole shape from 3-12-6, this is back arrmhole.
This completes the drafting of punjabi suit cutting steps.
Draw the neckline of front and back as explained in the diagram.
Punjabi dress cutting method:
- Fold the fabric in double.
- Once again fold the fabric from 2-11 = hip round/4+2″
- Draft the suit pattern.
- Cut the pattern.
- Remove the inner layer, this will be your back.
- From the outer layer cut the front armhole shape.
- Cut the neckline and sleeves as shown in video.
The video link of Punjabi dress cutting
Hope you will share the video and subscribe the channel. Watch our youtube stories for behind the scenes of MTC..
Happy Blogging 😉
Love “N” Gratitude 🙂